Tuesday, August 12, 2008

The Mummy: Tomb of the Dragon Emperor (2008)

Since when did Terracotta Warriors become mummies? Well, I was prepared for my imagination to be stretched... but 5 minutes into this film and I'm thinking they're spending a lot of time to introduce the story and the setup. This isn't good. I was starting to get bored.  Plus I couldn't make out a word of Chinese that Jet Li's character was speaking. And Michelle Yeoh speaks Chinese like she's not totally comfy with the language.

I remember being entertained by the last 2 Mummy movies. Not so on this third outing. When the actual story finally begins, I was so bored by the pedestrial storytelling and characters that I was constantly thinking of walking out. I came to watch a Hollywood action adventure flick. But everything was just an excuse to mask a weak story with special effects, with the hope that no one notices this is just a movie version of a roller coaster ride that offers no real thrills. The romance angle, the drama and all the setup all come across half-baked and half hearted.

Lots more to nitpick about this movie. But like the way the filmmakers approach this film, I'm too lazy to elaborate.

No comments: