Tuesday, April 15, 2014

Nymphomaniac: Volume II (2013)

At the end of this, I wasn't sure if I like this movie(s), but on hindsight, I have to admit this is what happens when a director pushes the boundaries of what film is and injects it with his philosophy and forces the audience to face difficult questions about life. Am really glad I caught this 2-parter which also contains some really brave performances. I don't think everyone will be able to appreciate this film because it engages without pandering to mainstream tastes or happy endings (it is part of a depression trilogy after all). I'm also curious about what's contained in the 5 hour festival cut, though I'm not sure if I'd have the patience to sit through that. But then again, I was expecting something pretentious and boring with this one, but it turned out to be one of the more thought provoking films I've caught in a while.

No comments: